UPDATE to these earlier stories..
June 10- DWI suspect: 'My heart goes out' to family of injured boy
June 12- Boy, 9, struck by car, remains in coma
June 18- Charge reduced against Larchmont teen accused of running over boy
June 19- Powers Child Now Out of Coma, Charges Reduced on Driver
July 3, 2008
The Larchmont Manor third grader who was hit by a car on June 6 is “still in tough shape,” reported Karen Schwartzman, spokesperson for the child’s family. William Powers, 9, has been transferred from the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital in Valhalla, NY to “a hospital in New Jersey that specializes in traumatic brain injuries and is being treated there,” she said on Monday, June 30. No further details have been released on the hospital or the boy’s condition.
William had been crossing the street in front of a stopped Bee-Line bus at Magnolia and Grove when he was struck by a Lexus driven by 18-year-old Mike Mezansky, who lives on Magnolia Avenue. The boy sustained serious leg and head injuries and remained in a coma for more than a week. (See: Boy Struck By Car Still Comatose; Driver Identified.)
The driver, who was attempting to pass the bus, was originally charged with drunk driving based on a field sobriety test. Charges were later reduced to “driving while impaired” at a June 17 arraignment. (See: Powers Child Now Out of Coma, Charges Reduced on Driver.)
Blood tests taken under court order a number of hours after the accident showed no drugs or alcohol, which the driver’s attorney, Joseph P. Abinanti, said would indicate an alcohol level from zero to .04, at most. A blood alcohol level above .08 constitutes grounds for a charge of DWI, driving while intoxicated; from .05 to .07 a driver may be charged with DWAI, driving while impaired.
Mr. Mezansky is scheduled to return to court in Larchmont Village Hall on July 8.
Link - Larchmont Gazette.com:Powers Boy Transferred to NJ Hospital