Saturday, February 27, 2010

Suspect in killing of daughter lost father, brother to suicide

PURCHASE — The woman accused of strangling her 18-year-old daughter had a father who shot and killed himself when she was 4 years old, and a brother who committed suicide in 2002, according to documents obtained by The Journal News.
Stacey Pagli, 37, who tried to hang herself after allegedly killing Marissa Pagli at Manhattanville College, attempted suicide again Thursday at the Westchester County jail, county officials said. She has been on suicide watch since her arrest a day earlier.

Harrison police Capt. Anthony Marraccini said he wasn't aware of the mother having any mental health problems and didn't disclose anything about her past.

Stacey Pagli, charged with second-degree murder, was a small child when her father, Everett Perry, who worked at a stone plant, shot himself in the chest with a shotgun in February 1977, according to his death certificate.
An older brother, Patrick Perry, committed suicide in 2002 when he was in his late 30s, according to the Erie County Medical Examiner's Office.

And her mother, Nalene Perry, who worked in a bakery, died in April 2009 after a brief illness, according to an obituary published in the Patriot and Free Press in Cuba, N.Y.

Stacey Pagli, who grew up about 80 miles south of Buffalo, was living with her husband — a college maintenance supervisor — and two daughters in staff housing on the Manhattanville campus. She dropped her 3-year-old daughter, Gianna, off at day care Monday morning before returning to the apartment.
Police said she struggled with Marissa, using her hands and possibly a "device" to strangle her around 9 a.m.

She then slit her own wrist and attempted to hang herself, police said. John Pagli, her husband and Marissa's father, discovered the gruesome scene when he arrived home shortly after noon.
Marissa, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was a volleyball player at the college.

Meanwhile, Marissa's family, friends and fellow students packed the Craft Funeral Home in Port Chester on Thursday evening to pay their respects.
She was remembered as a happy person.
Louis Rodriguez, 20, who had a Tai Chi class with Marissa at Manhattanville, said she was very outgoing.

"She just came up to me one day and started speaking," he said. "She was always smiling and she was never upset."

After an hour of the viewing, a busload of students arrived. Even though some said they did not know Marissa well, they said they would see her around campus, watch her play volleyball and described her as very sweet.
Some also gave their condolences to her father, whom they described as a nice person.

She will be laid to rest today following a funeral at St. Anthony of Padua Church at 11 a.m. in West Harrison.

Stacey Pagli, a former office administrator in Rye Brook, had no family or friends present when she was arraigned in Harrison Town Court on Wednesday.

She was held without bail at the county jail, where she tried to hang herself Thursday morning, county officials said.

A correction officer spotted her with socks tied around her neck around 8 a.m.
"It appears to have been a suicide attempt, but she's OK," county spokeswoman Donna Greene said. "She's conscious and alert."

Although Pagli was not injured, she was taken to Westchester Medical Center before she was returned to the jail several hours later. Greene said she will continue to be under "constant observation."

She appeared frail and listless during Wednesday's arraignment, and walked into the courthouse shackled and wearing socks and hospital scrubs. She covered her face with her hair. She is due back in court on Tuesday.

Police released no new details on the homicide investigation Thursday. Marraccini, the acting chief, said police know of a motive in the slaying but will not disclose it. They also won't discuss the content of a note Stacey Pagli left at the scene.

Suspect in killing of daughter lost father, brother to suicide The Journal News

No comments: