Hand over your children!
ACS tried to take my other kids, sez mom burying son
BY JOHN LAUINGER and JONATHAN LEMIREDAILY
Thursday, August 16th 2007, 4:00 AM
A Queens mother buried her 2-year-old son yesterday - and then battled child welfare workers to prevent them from taking custody of her other kids at the cemetery.
"How are they going to come and do this while I'm burying my baby?" cried Jacqueline Lopez, a mother of six, whose son Carlos Joel died last week in a fire. "This is disgusting, this is horrible. Couldn't they have waited a couple of days?"
Carlos was burned to death last Thursday in a fire accidentally ignited by his 6-year-old brother, Isaiah, who was playing with his mother's pink cigarette lighter in their Sunnyside apartment.
Isaiah and Lopez's 1-year-old twins were rescued from the blaze by their grandmother Carmen Ospina. Lopez, 29, was not home, officials said.
Lopez said social workers from the Children's Aid Society - which had placed Lopez's oldest child, a 13-year-old girl, in foster care several years ago - told the mom yesterday that workers from the city Administration for Children's Services were coming to the funeral to take her other kids.
"She told me they're coming to the cemetery to pick them up," said Lopez after the service at St. Theresa's Catholic Church in Sunnyside. "It was so disrespectful to my baby."
A friend of Lopez's called City Councilman Eric Gioia (D-Queens), who requested that the ACS not take action on the day of the funeral.
"Unless there's imminent danger to a child's safety, disturbing a funeral is outrageous behavior," Gioia said. "It's inexplicable."
The ACS would not confirm whether or not it was investigating the Lopez family. But a pair of ACS caseworkers were seen interviewing Lopez and Ospina last night.
Lopez, who is being housed in a motel by the Red Cross, said investigators told her they got an anonymous tip citing parental negligence from someone who had attended Carlos' wake.
"I'm trying to be strong for my kids; I don't want them to see me cry," said Lopez, who wept into the shoulder of her husband, Edwin Mendez, 45. "And now they want to put us through another pain by removing my kids. How dare they do that?"
"Once they take [kids] away from you, it's so hard to get them back," she said. "I can't live without my babies. I lost Carlos Joel and now they're trying to take my other ones from me."
My reply to above author-
Thank you for this article, it's high time the press shows how ACS operates.
This past month my lawyer filed on my behalf a lawsuit against ACS and the City for Malicious Prosecution and Negligent Misrepresentation, they destroyed my family six years ago and I have not been able to recover from it.
Unfortunately, I am not alone in my misery caused by this agency (ACS) and other child protective agencies across America. Every day they destroy numerous children's lives under the guise of "protection" when in fact it is the Title IV Federal funding they receive for legally kidnapping our children that is at the root of this "protective evil"
We the people have had enough; this weekend many victims of the system are Rallying at the Lincoln Memorial in D.C. to stop government intrusion into our family’s lives.
Please see link below for more information.
Bringing Children and Families Back Together Washington DC Rally August 18th 2007